HANCOCK, Mich. – Stefen Seel scored the game-winning goal with 46 seconds remaining in regulation, lifting the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey team a NCHA sweep over Finlandia University. The game-winning score in the final minute gave the Falcons a 4-3 win Saturday, following a 5-2 win in the opener Friday night.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 4, Finlandia 3
- Location: Houghton County Arena – Hancock, Michigan
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 3-2-1, 3-2-1 NCHA; Finlandia 0-6-0, 0-4-0 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons took a 3-2 lead into the final stanza but the host Lions scored midway through the period to tie things at three. Seel (Invermere, British Columbia) delivered the heroics for the Falcons, striking with 46 seconds remaining for the one-goal win. Sophomore Connor Hogg (London Ontario) and freshman Josh Adkins (Victoria, British Columbia) assisted on the game-winner.
- Hogg got the scoring started for the Falcons, striking 9:50 into play for a 1-0 lead. It was the fourth goal of the season for the sophomore. The Lions would tie the game at one before the first intermission, scoring 12:14 into the stanza off the stick of Alex Rezansoff.
- The Falcons fell behind 6:25 into the second period as Finlandia received a goal from Tommy Malkmus for a 2-1 lead. CUW would respond with two goals in a span of 2:33, starting with an unassisted shorthanded tally from sophomore Jon Brumwell (Calgary, Alberta).
- Following the Brumwell equalizer, it was sophomore Nicholas Erb (London, Ontario) who put the Falcons in front with his third goal of the season. Seniors David Haaf (Medicine Hat, Alberta) and Tanner Bull (Brooklin, Ontario) assisted on the go-ahead score from Erb.
- Sophomore Jack Romanuik (Melfort, Saskatchewan) had another strong day between the pipes for the Falcons, recording 26 saves for his third win of the season. Romanuik becomes the third Falcons player to reach double-digit wins in his career and he has done so in a little over a season of play.
- Finlandia finished the game with a 29-27 edge in shots on goal. No power play goals were scored, as CUW was 0-for-5 with the advantage. The Falcons killed off all four of the Lions power play attempts, which included the Brumwell shorthanded score.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons have never lost to Finlandia under head coach Jasen Wise, who began his tenure with CUW during the 2012-13 season. CUW is 9-0-1 during that span, including a perfect 6-0-0 in games played at Finlandia.
- CUW will take a break from NCHA play with a pair of home non-conference games next weekend. The Falcons will open the weekend by hosting UW-Eau Claire, a team currently ranked 13th nationally, Friday night at 7 p.m. CUW will also host UW-Stout Saturday night.