LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Lake Forest scored three times in the opening nine minutes of the third period to stun the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey team Saturday night. The win secured the Battle Border for the Foresters, the third straight year Lake Forest has held the Battle Border Cup.
- Final Score: Lake Forest 3, Concordia Wisconsin 2
- Location: Alumni Memorial Fieldhouse – Lake Forest, Illinois
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 0-2-0, 0-2-0 NCHA; Lake Forest 2-0-0, 2-0-0 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons took a 2-0 lead into the final stanza but the Foresters quickly cut into the lead on a power play goal by Billy Kent just 1:33 into the period. Lake Forest would tie the game 2:52 later on an unassisted score by Bron Loiselle.
- The game-winning score came 8:59 into the third off the stick of Charlie Izaguirre. Jack Lewis and Travis Hill assisted on the Foresters game-winner.
- CUW dominated the first two periods Saturday, outshooting the Foresters 24-14 in building a 2-0 lead. The Falcons first score came on the power play, the second goal of the season for freshman Mac Ferner (Vernon, British Columbia). Freshman Jim Pearson (Ashton, Ontario) and sophomore Stefen Seel (Invermere, British Columbia) assisted on the Ferner goal.
- CUW went up 2-0 in the second as sophomore Connor Hogg (London, Ontario) scored with 2:13 left before the intermission. Seel and Ferner set up the Hogg goal.
- Sophomore Nick Malvin (Ham Lake, Minn.) made his second career start for the Falcons, his other coming in last year's opener at Lake Forest. Malvin made 23 saves for the Falcons. Billy Cooper picked up the win for the second straight night for Lake Forest, stopping 33 shots.
- The two teams spent less time in the box than Friday (65 minutes) but still totaled 40 minutes Saturday night. CUW was whistled seven times for a total of 22 minutes in the box. The Falcons finished the night 2-for-7 on the power play, while Lake Forest converted one of six chances.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- CUW dropped its first two NCHA games for the second time in the last three seasons. Last year the Falcons split with Lake Forest but CUW fell in both games to open the season against Lawrence in 2014-15.
- The Falcons will look to get into the win column next weekend with a NCHA series against rival MSOE. The opener is set for Friday night at the Ozaukee Ice Center with puck drop scheduled for 7 p.m.