MEQUON, Wis. – Marian University scored two times in the third period, breaking what was a 2-2 tie, and completed a weekend sweep over the Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey team Saturday night at the Ozaukee Ice Center.
Final Score: Marian 4, Concordia Wisconsin 2
Location: Ozaukee Ice Center – Mequon, Wis.
Records: Marian 9-5-3, 7-4-1 NCHA; Concordia Wisconsin 8-6-2, 5-5-2 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It was the Falcons who built a lead after 20 minutes of play as sophomore Anthony Pickering (Sylvan Lake, Alberta) scored his third goal of the season with just over two minutes remaining in the frame. Freshman Stefen Seel (Invermere, British Columbia) assisted on the play.
- Marian struck two times in the opening 1:24 of the second period to build a 2-1 lead. Former Falcon Devin Stuermer had the first goal, while James Mathias gave the Sabres the one-goal lead.
- The Falcons tied the game up at 2-2 4:48 into the period when sophomore Braden Crone (Metiskow, Alberta) lit the lamp for the sixth time this season. His goal was assisted by Pickering and junior David Haaf (Medicine Hat, Alberta).
- The game-winning score was on the power play for the Sabres, coming 7:43 into the third period by Nick Monfils. Stuermer would add his second goal of the game with 1:50 to play for the 4-2 final.
- Freshman Andy Munroe (Newmarket, Ontario) was the goalie of record for the Falcons as he made 32 saves in the defeat. Mike Baldwin stopped 26 shots in the win for the Sabres.
- The Falcons will host UW-Stout next Friday at 7 p.m. at the Ozaukee Ice Center.