APPLETON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey team felt the rust of playing its first game in over a month as the Falcons were shut out by Lawrence University, 2-0, in an NCHA road tilt Friday night.
- Final Score: Lawrence 2, Concordia Wisconsin 0
- Location: Appleton Family Ice Center – Appleton, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 8-4-1, 5-3-1 NCHA; Lawrence 4-8-0, 3-4-0 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lawrence goaltender Mattias Soderqvist was on top of his game Friday as he recorded 26 saves for the shutout. The Falcons got a strong performance from freshman Jack Romanuik (Melfort, Saskatchewan), who stopped 21 of 23 shots he faced, as well. It was the first loss of the season for Romanuik.
- The Vikings built a 1-0 lead 3:20 into play as Mikkel Joehnk scored. Brad Mueller assisted on the play, putting the Falcons in an early hole.
- Lawrence would gain a little insurance 8:45 into the third period when Nick Felan made the score 2-0. Renato Engler assisted on the final score of the game.
- The Falcons fired 11 of their 26 shots in the third period and nine in the opening stanza. CUW was 0-for-4 with the man advantage, but their penalty kill was productive Saturday, killing off all three of the Vikings' chances.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Friday marked the first time this season the Falcons were shutout. CUW was held scoreless three times last season, which happened in three straight games (Feb. 13-20). Two of those contests came against MSOE and one against Adrian, all being 3-0 finals.
- CUW dropped its third straight against Lawrence after previously winning four consecutive. The Falcons were swept by the Vikings by scores of 6-2 and 4-2 last season.
- The Falcons and Vikings will get together again tomorrow night, this time at the Ozaukee Ice Center. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m. and is a part of Youth Hockey Day at the Ozaukee Ice Center, along with the Women's game at 3 p.m.