MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Men's Hockey team knew it needed to play better than it did Friday night in a 3-3 tie against Finlandia University in Saturday's tilt featuring the same two teams. The Falcons did just that Saturday, dominating the Lions in a 5-0 NCHA win at the Ozaukee Ice Center.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 5, Finlandia 0
- Location: Ozaukee Ice Center – Mequon, Wis.
- Records: CUW 3-2-1, 3-2-1 NCHA; Finlandia 0-3-3, 0-2-2 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons struck early as freshman Nick Erb (London, Ontario) scored 51 seconds into play on a one timer from freshman Adam Fauchoux (Prince Albert, Saskatchewan). Fauchoux slid the puck perfectly across to Erb who was there for a wide open net, giving the Falcons a 1-0 lead. Senior Trammell Lynes (Edmonton, Alberta) added an assist on the play.
- Freshman Stefen Seel (Invermere, British Columbia) continued his impressive streak with a goal 5:01 into play to give the Falcons a 2-0 lead. Seel now has seven points over his last three games, including four goals. Sophomore Braden Crone (Metiskow, Alberta) and freshman Connor Hogg (London, Ontario) assisted on the Seel score.
- The Falcons final three goals came in the third period for the 5-0 win. Freshman Taylor Gauld (Whitby, Ontario), Crone and freshman Jon Brumwell (Calgary, Alberta) scored the third-period goals for the Falcons.
- Junior Tanner Bull (Brooklin, Ontario), freshman Erik Therrian (Willow Bunch, Saskatchewan), sophomore Jared Pilet (Seattle, Wash.) and senior Buster Hebda (Firestone, Colo.) picked up assists in the third period.
- Freshman goaltender Andy Munroe (Newmarket, Ontario) picked up his first career shutout in moving his record to 2-1-0 on the season. He wasn't challenged to often as he had 14 saves with the Falcons outshooting the Lions, 49-14.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The game saw neither team spend much time in the box as CUW was whistled four times, while the Lions just three. The Falcons had one power play goal (the Seel score) and stopped Finlandia on all four of its power plays. CUW has now given up zero power play goals in four of five games this season.
- The line of Crone-Seel-Hogg has been incredibly productive over the past three games. The trio has produced 15 points and a combined +17 plus/minus rating during the 2-0-1 stretch for CUW.
- The shutout was just the third in program history for the Falcons. The others came on January 18, 2018 in a 3-0 win at Lawrence and November 9, 2012 in a 2-0 win over Lake Forest.
- The Falcons will take a break from conference play over the next two weekends beginning with a pair of WIAC opponents next week. CUW will visit UW-Eau Claire to start that stretch next Friday night at 7:30 p.m.