MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin Men's Basketball came away with a victory against NACC foe Dominican on Saturday, as junior Josh Hau (Slinger, Wis.) provided a strong second half to propel the Falcons to a 72-61 victory inside the R. John Buuck Field House.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 72, Dominican 61
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 3-5, 2-3 NACC; Dominican 3-4, 1-3 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin and Dominican were tied at 43-43 with 12:22 left in the second half when Hau scored 12 straight points to push the Falcons to a 55-47 lead with just under 8:29 left to play. The Stars weren't able to get within nine points for the rest of the contest as the Falcons went 4-of-4 on their final free throw attempts to seal the victory and secure their third conference win.
- The two teams battled for much of the game as the Falcons jumped out to a 11-5 lead early in the game. Dominican fought back by coming away with a few successful offensive possessions building a 16-13 lead. Concordia Wisconsin was able to take the lead back off a steal and fast break layup from junior Noah Gosse (Green Bay), CUW was able to stay out in front with the first half ending 35-27 in favor of Concordia Wisconsin.
- Going into the final half of play, the Stars climbed back in front after Jonny Woolf made a pullup jumper while fading away from the defender to bring the score to 42-41 with just 12:53 to play in the contest. Once again, Gosse was able to put the Falcons on top with a great layup in the lane that showcased athleticism and awareness of the basket with a finger roll over two defenders that gave the Falcons the lead 43-42 which would be a lead they would not relinquish.
- Sophomore Dane Fronek (Wausau, Wis.) finished with 12 points and two rebounds, while scoring 10 points in the second half. Freshman Jordan Johnson (Cedarburg, Wis.) tallied 11 points and eight rebounds to go along with two assists and two blocks. Hau provided a game high 25 points and six rebounds along with a team leading three steals. CUW outscored the Stars 44-to-16 in the paint and 24-to-15 on points off turnovers.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Hau has scored 51 points and gathered 11 rebounds in his past two games, while averaging 21.0 points and 5.3 rebounds in the month of December.
- The Falcons now lead the series 16-5 and extend their win streak to 10 games in a row over Dominican.
- Dominican's Woolf finished the day with 22 points, three steals and one block. Tim Robertson chipped in 10 points, while Connor Dartt was able to bring in 10 rebounds.
- Jackson Smith came off the bench in order to contribute four assists, three rebounds and a game high four blocks.
- The Falcons will travel to MSOE on Thursday the 14th at 7:00 pm in a NCAA conference matchup.