MINNEAPOLIS – Concordia Wisconsin and Augsburg went back-and-forth during the first 30 minutes of action on Saturday afternoon, but it was the host Auggies who buckled down in the second half and scored 17 unanswered points to win the non-conference games.
Final Score: Augsburg 38, Concordia Wisconsin 16
Location: Edor Nelson Field (Minneapolis, Minn.)
Records: Augsburg 2-0, Concordia Wisconsin 1-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin drove the ball down the field well during the first half, but were limited to just 16 points on four trips into the red zone, including three field goals. Meanwhile, Augsburg scored three touchdowns to own a 21-16 lead at the intermission.
- In the first half, junior Jacob Mason (Slinger, Wis.) made field goals from 34, 26 and 24 yards out to help the Falcons offense.
- Senior quarterback Aaron Nixon (North Prairie, Wis.) scored the visitors only touchdown of the game, a 1-yard rush with 7:17 to play in the second quarter.
- The Auggies struck the scoreboard first with a 26-yard rushing touchdown by Quinn Frisell with 10:12 to play in the opening quarter. They also had a pair of Frisell to Nick Hennie pass and catch touchdowns (37 and 63 yards) in the second quarter to pull in front.
- Frisell added an 8-yard rushing score in the third quarter to extend Augsburg's lead to double-figures.
- Frisell, the do-it-all quarterback for the Auggies, teamed up with Ray Guyton Jr. for a 60-yard touchdown before Tyler Hanson put the finishing touches on the game with a 34-yar field goal in the final quarter.
- Freshman Josh Turner (Palatine, Ill.) pounded the ball on the ground 27 times, but was limited to 68 yards (2.5 average). Nixon also rushed 15 times for 49 yards and passed for 253 yards on 20-of-32 attempts. He threw two interceptions and was sacked twice.
- Junior Ryan Wagner (Mukwonago, Wis.), sophomore Jake Riportella (Des Plaines, Ill.) and Turner all had four receptions.
- Senior Albert Goerlitz (Withee, Wis.) led the Falcons defense with seven total tackles (six solo), while senior Richie Guess (Homer Glen, Ill.) forced a fumble and intercepted a pass.
- Junior Kody Lemley (Lake Station, Ind.) blocked a 21-yard field goal attempt in the third quarter.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Concordia Wisconsin finished with a 20-14 advantage in first downs and they also were 4-of-5 in the red zone.
- Mason's three field goals were a career-high, along with his 34-yard make.
- Augsburg was whistled for 137 yards on eight infractions, compared to Concordia Wisconsin's 38 yards on six penalities.
- Quinn Frisell passed for 236 yards and three touchdowns, while also rushing for 50 yards and two more scores. He connected with Ray Guyton Jr. six times for 99 yards and a touchdown.
- Nick Heenie had a 100-yard receiving day and two touchdown receptions for the Auggies.
- Mustafa Adam led all players with 15 total tackles (nine solo) and a sack. Isiah Malone had two interceptions returned for 38 yards.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Albion for a September 16 non-conference game starting at 12 pm CDT.