MEQUON, Wis. – It sure didn't take long for Concordia Wisconsin to set the tone on Saturday afternoon against Finlandia, as Isaiah Tenette took the opening kickoff 99 yards for a touchdown. The Falcons piled on 14 points in the opening quarter and 28 more in the second period en route to a commanding 42-6 non-conference season-opening victory.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 42, Finlandia 6
Location: Tomasini Stadium (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-0, Finlandia 0-1
QUOTING HEAD COACH GREG ETTER
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Isaiah Tenette (Sacramento, Calif.) took the opening kickoff from the 1-yard line and patiently waited for his blockers to get setup before he bounced to the sideline in front of the Falcons bench. A block here and a block there opened up a huge hole for the speedy wide receiver to stroll into the end zone to start the game.
- From then on Concordia Wisconsin overpowered Finlandia in the opening half, as they added three touchdowns through the air and two more on the ground.
- Senior Aaron Nixon (North Prairie, Wis.) connected with junior Josh Sanders (Phoenix, Ariz.) for a 5-yard touchdown grab in the opening quarter to extend the early lead.
- Nixon added a rushing score of his own from seven yards and found Sanders again from seven yards out to extend the lead to 28-0 early on in the second quarter.
- Nixon used his legs one more time on a quarterback sneak from a yard out, before connecting with junior Devin Kooi (Zion, Ill.) on the next drive. The Falcons led 42-0 with 2:32 to play before halftime.
- Finlandia's De'Llontae Johnson scrambled around left and right, breaking tackles before eventually finding pay dirt for the Lions only score of the game from 20 yards with 22 seconds remaining in the game.
- The game was not only important for the starters to find a rhythm early in the season, but also because numerous backups and freshmen received quality playing time during the first and second halves.
- Nixon ended 15-of-21 for 170 yards and three passing touchdowns, to go along with 41 rushing yards and a score.
- Sanders, Tenette and senior DeMarcus Heglar (Chicago, Ill.) all had four receptions, with Sanders scoring twice.
- Freshmen Nick Mirasola (Sussex, Wis.) pounded out 84 yards on the ground on 14 attempts (6.0 average), while Josh Turner (Palatine, Ill.) had 68 yards on nine carries (7.3 average).
- Defensively, senior Albert Goerlitz (Withee, Wis.) had a team-high five total tackles and intercepted a career-best two passes in the first half. Both of his interceptions came in the second quarter, with the first being returned for 13 yards and the second on a Hail Mary attempt on the last pass before halftime.
- Senior Richie Guess (Home Glen, Ill.) picked off a pass, also in the second quarter and forced a fumble.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons were 5-of-5 in red zone attempts and limited the Lions to 5-of-13 on third-down attempts.
- Concordia Wisconsin was penalized 12 times and Finlandia was whistled for four infractions.
- The Falcons had 457 total offensive yards, with 287 coming on the ground. The 287 rushing yards is the sixth most during a game in head coach Greg Etter's tenure.
- Tenette's 99-yard kickoff return for a touchdown is the longest in program history.
- Justin Woolever paced the Lions running game with 105 yards on 18 carries (5.8 average), while Tyler Kangas hauled in five passes for 54 yards. De'Llontae Johnson was 13-of-29 through the air passing.
- Kangas also punted seven times and averaged 44.9 yards per kick and had three inside the 20-yard line.
- Defensively, Jaavaid Love and Kangas each made 10 total tackles, while Love also recorded three tackles for loss. Bradley St. Fort broke up a pair of passes.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons travel to Augsburg for a September 9 non-conference showdown at 1 pm.