TUCSON, Ariz. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Baseball team closed out its 10-game Arizona spring trip with a doubleheader against a 2017 NCAA Tournament team, battling Macalester twice on Saturday. The Falcons picked up two big wins, rallying to force extra innings in game one and walking off with a walk for a 4-3 win before hitting their way to an 13-4 win in the second game.
- Final Scores: CUW 4, Macalester 3 (F/10); CUW 13, Macalester 4
- Location: Kino Sports Complex – Tucson, Arizona
- Records: CUW 8-5; Macalester 7-7
CUW 4, MACALESTER 3 (F/10)
- The Falcons came from behind for an extra-innings win in game one. CUW trailed 3-1 entering the bottom of the seventh (the game was scheduled for seven innings). The Falcons put two runners on via walk before Dan Ranieri (Loves Park, Ill.) and Kyle Hilliard (Oak Forest, Ill.) delivered back-to-back singles to tie the game. With runners at the corners and one out, Macalester got an inning-ending double play to force extras.
- CUW had chances in each extra inning, but finally put the game away in the 10th on a walk-off walk. With one out, two walks and a base hit from Charlie Rodriguez (Tinley Park, Ill.) set the stage for Thyssen whose walk scored Eric Paz (Kenosha, Wis.)
- Michael Enriquez (Chicago, Ill.) got the win, throwing three scoreless frames in relief for the Falcons. He scattered three hits and struck out one while throwing 28 of his 40 pitches for strikes. Alex Prickett (Cedarburg, Wis.) turned in a quality start for the Falcons, throwing seven innings and allowing three earned with three strikeouts.
- The Scots best chance for a run in extras came in the top of the ninth. With two outs and a runner on first, Macalester delivered a deep fly ball to left center but Michael Szeszol made a diving grab to keep the game tied 3-3.
- Ranieri finished the game with two RBI while Szeszol (Lake Bluff, Ill.) collected two hits to pace the offense. CUW walked nine times and was hit by five pitches in the game. Falcons pitchers issued four walks with no hit batsmen.
- Graham Low led Macalester in the opener with three hits, including a solo home run in the sixth. Joe Trier threw five strong innings for the Scots, allowing one earned. Jacob Simpson took the loss, firing the last 4.1 innings.
CUW 13, MACALESTER 4
- The Falcons jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the second game, scoring two times in the first and adding a run in the top of the second. A 3-run home run for the Scots in the bottom of the second tied the game, but CUW broke things open with a five-run third inning.
- CUW used a balanced attack as all nine starters collected at least one hit, resulting in a total 14. The Falcons got excellent production from Ranieri and Thyssen, each player collecting three hits. Hilliard drove in four runs and totaled two hits, one an RBI double. Thyssen scored four times while Rodriguez scored twice from the leadoff spot. Matt Luft (Oshkosh, Wis.) collected two hits and walked twice for the Falcons. Peter Scott (Dayton, Nev.) added a two-RBI pinch-hit double for the Falcons in the convincing win.
- Bradlee Sumner (Ocala, Fla.) picked up his first career win for the Falcons. Sumner threw six innings and allowed just three hits while striking out four. Scott Plachinski (South Milwaukee, Wis.) came on for the seventh for the Falcons.
- The Falcons are scheduled for the 2018 home opener next Friday, March 23 at 3 p.m. against Northland. CUW is also scheduled to host Ripon next Saturday at 1 p.m.
April 24, 2018 Plachinski lands on D3Baseball.com Team of the Week
April 21, 2018 Baseball settles for split against Lakeland
April 20, 2018 Preview: Baseball hosts Lakeland for two Saturday
April 10, 2018 Baseball swept by Marian
April 9, 2018 Preview: Baseball welcomes Marian to Kapco Park
April 7, 2018 Sunday Baseball doubleheader at Benedictine postponed
April 6, 2018 Saturday Baseball doubleheader postponed
March 30, 2018 Preview: Baseball opens NACC play against Spartans
March 30, 2018 Baseball responds in game two, salvages split against Aurora
March 28, 2018 Baseball doubleheader against Aurora moved to Friday
March 25, 2018 Baseball edged by Ripon in non-conference action
March 23, 2018 Olig, Barney lead Baseball to shutout win over Northland
March 22, 2018 Baseball game with Ripon moved to Sunday
March 22, 2018 Preview: Baseball hosts two games this weekend
March 20, 2018 Ranieri collects NACC Baseball Player of the Week honors
March 16, 2018 Baseball secures split with Salem State
March 14, 2018 Baseball slugs way to pair of victories Wednesday in Arizona
March 12, 2018 Framingham State sweeps Falcons in twinbill
March 11, 2018 Baseball sweeps Augsburg to begin Arizona trip
March 2, 2018 Baseball opener at Chapman halted by rain
January 25, 2018 Baseball tabbed second in NACC Preseason Poll
August 16, 2017 Mandatory Baseball players meeting set for August 28